GCC 4.6

Gary Whatmore no at spam.spam
Sat Oct 30 21:22:05 PDT 2010

bearophile Wrote:

> Walter:
>
> > You post lists of features every day.
>
> I hate wasting your time, so please ignore my posts you aren't interested in. I write those things because I like to think and discuss about new ways to explain semantics to computers. Most of those things are for discussion, not for inclusion in D2 (few of them may be included in D3, in the future).

Less talk and more concrete solutions. We may need another newsgroup for useless language discussion. This way Walter and core team can easily ignore all language discussion and focus on fixing D.

> There are many things I don't know yet about D and its compiler, and from the answers and corrections I become more aware about D and programming.

You could study without interrupting Walter. The persons in this group can be divided into three groups:

* the core language ecosystem developers (important persons. don't waste their time),
* commercial pragmatic developpers (semi-important, waste a bit of their time as payment for their questions that only benefit commercial 3rd parties),
* hobbyist/school student procrastination group (useful conversation of languages = bearophile, useless functional programming advocacy talk, n00b questions).

We should punish the third group more with useless discussion and let the important persons finish their jobs quick.

> In some weeks I may teach the basics of D2 to a classroom in my nation, so the more mistakes I make & gets corrected in the relative isolation of this newsgroup, the less wrong things I will teach them :-)

I'd suggest one thing; if you don't know something, give answer to some other question. If someone criticizes D 2.0, ridicule their good points. We need more young developers from other language camps and sometimes a lie at this point might turn into a gold mine in our all lives later. The students probably realize later how important choosing D really was (they'll even learn functional programming with a friendly C style syntax). It's not necessarily evil to lure them in using questionable methods. If some older teacher is watching you, you need to be more careful with personal agendas.