Marketing D [ was Re: GCC 4.6 ]

Jimmy Cao jcao219 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 15:34:48 PDT 2010

Interestingly, what goes along with the discussion about the perception of D
as a language is what happened to IronPython and IronRuby.  Microsoft
initially showed a whole lot of support for those two languages, and
assembled teams to work on both.  That caused a big surge in their
popularities.  Of course, later Microsoft kinda lost interest and IronRuby
was first "dropped" and recently Microsoft announced it was no longer
supporting IronPython.  So, I think having a strong community behind an
open-source language is desirable instead of having corporate support.
 Because of their communities, the IronPython and IronRuby projects are
still alive right now.