[OT] Dark Star (1974) - the platinum age of movies

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Sep 2 17:43:54 PDT 2010

On 9/2/10 17:58 CDT, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> The scene was of the main character driving on a busy highway into a
>> crowded metropolis. The meaning was to question the veracity and
>> meaning of perception, existence, and human interaction - all of which
>> are central themes in the movie.
>
> But if I showed you 15 minutes of me driving around on the freeway,
> you'd think I was torturing you.

Well yah but that's because it'd be /you/. :o)

> It's like that unauthenticated Pollock painting. If it is authenticated,
> it's a masterpiece. If not, it's just paint dribbled on canvas. The
> painting is the same in either case.

Not at all. The comparison doesn't make sense. I and others I discussed
it with found the scene was very powerful, and when I first watched the
movie I had no opinion about the director etc. That you didn't find
anything in it doesn't automatically make it crappy.

Andrei