[OT] Dark Star (1974) - the platinum age of movies

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Sep 3 19:12:38 PDT 2010

BLS:
> Thanks, Is there a book you would recommend from Greg Egan ?  To be
> honest with you I have never heard about him.

Greg Egan is exceptionally good and he invents some of the most incredible ideas, but he's not for everyone. He writes the hardest SF. So if you don't like scientifically accurate SF, then Greg Egan isn't for you.

I have read all novels and short stories he has written (but the last one, "Zendegi", I will eventually read it too). As it happens with most other SF writers, his books are not fully separated from each other even if no characters last more than a book, there is a development in the author ideas. So I suggest you to start from the first books and short story collections he has written, in chronological order.

On the author site (and elsewhere on the net) you find many (probably 15 short stories or so), so even if you don't read them in chronological order, you will be able to know if you want to read his books.

http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Egan

I have written several short stories inspired by ideas or stories invented by Greg Egan. I think you will need to wait 20-40 more years before some movie starts to copy from his ideas (typically in a bad way, see the last movies based on Asimov novels, like I robot, Bicentary man, etc. The movie on I robot tells even the opposite of the purpose those short stories were written for).

Bye,
bearophile