[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

BCS none at anon.com
Mon Sep 6 16:45:10 PDT 2010

Hello Nick,

> "BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
> news:a6268ff1b9068cd1bc36b696570 at news.digitalmars.com...
>
>> Hello Nick,

>>> Compromises that often need to be made for ultra-thin devices:
>>>
>>> - Low storage space due to lack of room for hard drive.
>>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-k
>> eywords=32+gb+micro+sd&x=0&y=0
>>
> Ugh, don't even get me started on MicroSD. Ordinary SD is already too
> small if you ask me, although I still put up with it anyway. Now
> MicroSD, well I can't say anything about it without raising my blood
> pressure...

My point was that space (volume) is not what limits how much space (GB) a
phone has.

> Besides:
> http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966955+42
> 94953566&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct&

If I wanted more sortage than I can put on flash cards, I'd breing a lap-top.
OTOH: this is the class of phone I use: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-Stature-i9-US-EN

>>> - Reduced variety of i/o ports.
>>>
>> In this day and age, you would be hard pressed to suggest a cell
>> phone needs more than a 1 maybe 2 USB ports.
>>
> I consider there to be a big difference between a cell phone and a
> smart phone. A cell phone is for making calls, and for those, I agree
> with you. But a smartphone is a PDA that also makes cell calls, and
> that changes things. Plus, I was kind of talking both smartphone and
> iPad-style stuff.

In this day and age, you would be hard pressed to suggest a smart phone/PDA
needs more than a 1 maybe 2 USB ports. You might, just maybe, talk me into
believing that an HDMI port could be handy. But that would really push it.

>>> - Reduced or eliminated potential for expandability.
>>>
>> Aside from a memeory card, name one things you've ever known someone
>> else to want to add to a phone?
>>
> - Headphone jack
> - Audio line-input

Many have the first and the second wouldn't be hard to add to the same jack

> - User's choice of portable Keyboard

USB

> - TV Out (for picture/video-viewing, and there's a million different
> kinds
> of TV-Out these days)

USB can do that, and at the image quality a smart phone can drive it wouldn't
be a bottle neck.

> - GPS

You would be hard pressed to find a (cell) phone that doesn't have that hardware
already.

> - Back before built-in cameras became common, I could have said
> "camera".
> All just off the top of my head, there's probably others.

And as I pointed out to Walter, are those things you want to ADD or do you
want them in there to begin with?

--
... <IXOYE><