[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 8 22:25:51 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i69jg8$2muo$1 at digitalmars.com...
> retard wrote:
>> I doubt they have any power to fight the record company in these kinds of
>> issues. A friend of a friend signed a deal with a record company owned by
>> a multinational mother record company. Now they are told where to play
>> concerts, how the cd distribution is organized, and when they are
>> supposed to release the next two albums. That's like slavery.
>
> To put it mildly, to say such a thing is like slavery is patently absurd.
> Contract or no, a record company cannot make you do anything, regardless
> of what you signed. (Sign a contract with the military, however, and they
> *can* make you.)
>
> Secondly, people ought to read contracts before they sign them. It's their
> own fault if they don't.

Until recent years, if you wanted to be a successful musician (aside from
scoring, and there's really only so much demand for that) you *had* to sign
one of those constracts. There was no choice - they had an oligopoly on the
entire market, and if you wanted in they had you by the balls.

> Contracts with children aren't legally binding because children are not
> considered legally competent. Adults are.

I've seen very few adults I'd consider "competent", but oh well ;)

> I always get the old versions of CDs before they were remastered :-) as I
> don't care for the audio leveling.

I've always been unclear on what that is. Is that where they make the
volume-level relatively consistent? (If so, then I wish the DVD companies
would start doing it. I hate when I have to turn the volume *waaay* up just
to hear the dialog and then *waaay* down again to not bust my eardrums as
soon as music or sound effects come on. And then tough shit whenever a
character talks during an action scene. Never had to deal with that crap on
VHS.)