[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 10:28:48 PDT 2010

BCS schrieb:
> Hello Nick,
>
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:i69jg8$2muo$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> To put it mildly, to say such a thing is like slavery is patently
>>> absurd. Contract or no, a record company cannot make you do anything,
>>> regardless of what you signed. (Sign a contract with the military,
>>> however, and they *can* make you.)
>>>
>>> Secondly, people ought to read contracts before they sign them. It's
>>> their own fault if they don't.
>>>
>> Until recent years, if you wanted to be a successful musician (aside
>> from scoring, and there's really only so much demand for that) you
>> *had* to sign one of those constracts. There was no choice - they had
>> an oligopoly on the entire market, and if you wanted in they had you
>> by the balls.
>>
>>> Contracts with children aren't legally binding because children are
>>> not considered legally competent. Adults are.
>>>
>> I've seen very few adults I'd consider "competent", but oh well ;)
>>
>>> I always get the old versions of CDs before they were remastered :-)
>>> as I don't care for the audio leveling.
>>>
>> I've always been unclear on what that is. Is that where they make the
>> volume-level relatively consistent? (If so, then I wish the DVD
>> companies would start doing it. I hate when I have to turn the volume
>> *waaay* up just to hear the dialog and then *waaay* down again to not
>> bust my eardrums as soon as music or sound effects come on. And then
>> tough shit whenever a character talks during an action scene. Never
>> had to deal with that crap on VHS.)
>>

> Subtitles, man. Subtitles. Heck, even at the right volume, I still can't
> understand what they are saying(/mumbleing) some of the time. (And my
> hearing is just fine.)

I've got the same problems with many american movies/series.
Synchronizations usually fix that, but translations often suck..

And I thought this was just a bad combination of "not native speaker"
(so I have more trouble understanding spoken english) and "too many
Motörhead concerts" =)

Anyway: Subtitles are definitely helpful.