[Really OT] Metallica

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 13:34:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 16:05:34 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:op.viri2yp3eav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
>> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 01:05:45 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>>
>>> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>>> news:i69fr8$2cbt$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> IIRC, A lot of Metallica fans felt they had started putting out "lousy
>>> sound" back around the "Load" and "Reload" albums. And that was before
>>> CD
>>> DRM.
>>
>> Load was the beginning of the downhill slide.  There are a couple
>> alright
>> songs, but all albums before that were filled with good songs.  Reload
>> was
>> utter crap (Unforgiven 2?  Really!???).  St. Anger I never really liked,
>> although I've heard that some people like it.
>
> I was avoiding stating my own Metallica opinions, but now that you
> mention
> it, that's exactly how I feel (and yea, I have heard a lot of other
> people
> say Load was the start of a downfall). I did kind of like "Until it
> Sleeps"
> and maybe one other (forget what), but yea, most of Load/Reload I just
> never
> got into. "Black album" was filed with good stuff, and I never understood
> people that said "St. Anger" was a return to Metallica's former glory.
> Just
> sounded like noise to me, and I'm a big metal fan!
>
> Speaking of all this, am I correct in my understanding that Load was
> right
> after Megadeth split off? (And that "black album" was right before?)

As Daniel wrote, Mustane left before Kill 'em All (their first album), but
his name is listed as the one of the authors for many of those songs.

If you are looking for "what was the trigger that started making Metallica
suck", it was that James Hetfield kind of let some of the other band
members take the creative wheel.  Before that, Hetfield was basically the
main writer, and was in charge of what made it into songs.

The alright songs from Load: Bleeding me, 2x4, King nothing, Hero of the
day.

At least IMO :)  I didn't really like Until it Sleeps.

But, they are still my favorite band of all time.

-Steve