Well, it's been a total failure

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Sep 11 17:07:59 PDT 2010

Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
>  I'm running Fedora 13.x86_64 and I've tried various ways of getting a
> D compiler to work. None have succeeded.
>
> 1. a. I can't install dmd 2.048:
>
>         # rpm -Uvh /downloads/dmd-2.048-0.i386.rpm
>         error: Failed dependencies:
>            gcc(x86-32) >= 4.2.3 is needed by dmd-2.048-0.i386
>    I don't know what package will satisfy this dependency.
>    b. dmd is a closed compiler. Not good. I'm really not comfortable
> running a compiler for which I don't have access to the source. The
> risk of undetected malware is too great.
>    c. So, I give up on dmd.

Complete source code comes with dmd. Try downloading:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.063.zip

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.048.zip

There are several people working on the source. Lots of D users compile their
own versions of dmd. The complete dmd source code is also available here:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/browser/trunk/