Well, it's been a total failure

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 17:14:30 PDT 2010

Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

>  I'm running Fedora 13.x86_64 and I've tried various ways of getting a
> D compiler to work. None have succeeded.
>
> 1. a. I can't install dmd 2.048:
>
>         # rpm -Uvh /downloads/dmd-2.048-0.i386.rpm
>         error: Failed dependencies:
>            gcc(x86-32) >= 4.2.3 is needed by dmd-2.048-0.i386
>    I don't know what package will satisfy this dependency.

You need the i686 versions of some packages, probably start with libgcc (yum
install libgcc.i686) and glibc, I don't remember which exactly are required. I
have dmd running on 64 bit fedora just fine, it can work. There is also a 64-bit
dmd in the making which should solve all those problems.

>    b. dmd is a closed compiler. Not good. I'm really not comfortable
> running a compiler for which I don't have access to the source. The
> risk of undetected malware is too great.

dmd is not open source, but not closed source either :) You can compile it from
scratch, the source is included with the zip file.