Well, it's been a total failure

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sun Sep 12 10:49:59 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 12:12 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 09/11/2010 05:52 PM, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
> >   I'm running Fedora 13.x86_64 and I've tried various ways of getting a
> > D compiler to work. None have succeeded.
> >
> > 1. a. I can't install dmd 2.048:
> >
> >          # rpm -Uvh /downloads/dmd-2.048-0.i386.rpm
> >          error: Failed dependencies:
> >             gcc(x86-32)>= 4.2.3 is needed by dmd-2.048-0.i386
> >     I don't know what package will satisfy this dependency.
> >     b. dmd is a closed compiler. Not good. I'm really not comfortable
> > running a compiler for which I don't have access to the source. The
> > risk of undetected malware is too great.
> >     c. So, I give up on dmd.
>
> Apologies for the poor experience. It's because you don't have the
> 32-bit portability libraries on your 64-bit system. A 64-bit edition is
> in the works and would certainly make everything smoother.
>
> In the meantime you'd need to run:
>
> sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib libc6-i386 lib6-dev-i386
> sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib
> sudo apt-get install g++-multilib
>
> We need to add these instructions to the download page.

I wonder if part of the problem for OP was using rpm rather than yum?  I
found using aptitude on Ubuntu and Debian on x86_64 it was relatively
easy to get the downloaded D distribution working, all that was needed
was to install the 32-bit libraries and the multilib GCC.  Not a big
deal to be honest.

Of course this only gives a 32-bit D, which isn't really what is needed
these days on a 64-bit platform.  So the sooner the 64-bit version of D
comes out, the better -- preferably last year ;-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk