A summary of D's design principles

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Sep 15 11:48:04 PDT 2010

Simen kjaeraas:
> Easy things easy, difficult things possible.
>
> Safe before fast, but fast too.
>
> If it works in C, it works the same or not at all in D.
>
> Sugar is good for you, as is salt. In moderation.
>
> Too much power is not enough. (Where are my macros?!)
>
> Programmers are lazy, so give them what they should use in the
> language. (unit testing, ddoc, contracts, versioning, etc...)

This reminds me a lot the Python Zen :-)
Seven possible more:
- It's almost good.
- Practical compilers matter.
- Good syntax mattes.
- Memory layouts matter.
- Compilation speed and reliability count.
- A GC is good for you, except when you need something else.
- High level when possible, low level if necessary.

One of yours fixed:
- If it works in C, it works (almost) the same or not at all in D.

Bye,
bearophile