A summary of D's design principles

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Sep 17 07:50:12 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 09:36 -0400, Gary Whatmore wrote:
[ . . . ]

I assume you are just trolling, but for the record . . .

> Haskell is just stupid. Their waisting they're time! It's brainwash

Haskell is far from stupid.  You may not like it, but saying it is
stupid is in itself just stupid.

[ . . . ]

> ML is crap. Its A CS 101 language for noobs. Scala runs on Java machine so its too slow and not native performance. Scala is also hard to understand!

More nonsensical value judgements.

ML is a fine language, as is OCaml.  If you don't like it then fine.

The issue of Java and Scala performance is not as simple as "it runs on
a VM and is therefore slow".  Anyone who has done any microbenchmarking
or macrobenchmarking will tell you that native language have benefits in
some places and VM+JIT languages have advantages in others.  Blanket
statements come only from people who have not investigated the situation
properly -- clearly this is a blanket statement, and I have investigated
it, and it remains true by inductive logic.

Scala may be hard to understand for people who haven't studied it, but
then so is C++, C, D, Java, Clojure, Groovy, Python, assembly language.

[The rest of the email I am replying to is entirely ignorable being as
it contains only value-judgement statements of no value at all.]

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk