D Tools Special Interest Group (SIG)

Jonas Drewsen jdrewsen at nospam.com
Fri Apr 1 13:39:24 PDT 2011

On 01/04/11 20.53, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 22/03/2011 23:41, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that every now and then a discussion about build tools or D
>> package management pops up in this group. Many people on this list have
>> a huge amount of experience and knowledge in this area. Some has even
>> created their own tools for D.
>>
>> Unfortunately this has not yet resulted in a standard set of tools
>> somehow.
>>
>> This post is an attempt to collect all the know-how and put it in a
>> central place. One goal is to use that for forming state-of-the-art
>> tools for D possible. Another goal is for several people to join forces
>> since many people means a higher chance of keeping the resulting tools
>> maintained and improved regularly.
>>
>> This does not necessarily suggest that an entirely new tool must be
>> developed from scratch. Maybe some of the existing ones are best used as
>> the base. This will probably be the first thing to determine.
>>
>> I've create a wikipage that I welcome anyone interested in this area to
>> add,modify and correct as they see fit.
>>
>> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ToolSIG
>>
>> Let's see if we can keep the ball rolling on this one :)
>>
>> /Jonas
>
> This is relevant to my inter... err.., I mean, I am interested in this
> issue. ^^
>
> Ok, for starters, you should have called the wiki page (and this thread)
> D Build Tools, or D Package Management Tools, or something like that.
> Just "D Tools" is not accurately specific, there many other *kinds* of D
> tools. Yes, I am the eternal nitpicker.

One of the better tools (DSSS) though not maintained actually falls into
several of these catergories. Thats why it is just called D tools. But
maybe it would be better splitting it into several pages. Please change
the wiki page as you see fit :)

Personally I think DSSS may be a good starting point. It would need to
be revived and moved to D2.

> As for the issue itself, I mentioned some thoughts on this on the
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/More_on_the_necessity_and_difficulty_of_a_package_management_system_127873.html#N128815

Nice points.

Please fell free to add it to the wiki page - just to have a central
place to refer to.

/Jonas