GSoC Mentoring: Garbage Collection

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Fri Apr 1 14:33:45 PDT 2011

dsimcha wrote:
> This may be belated, but I'm thinking of applying for mentoring a garbage
> collection project for GSoC 2011.  I think GC quality of implementation is one
> of D's biggest weaknesses and one of the areas I know most about.
>
> I can't seem to find information about time commitments in the GSoC FAQ or how
> to apply as a mentor and have not been following the related threads closely.
>  Does mentoring just consist of spending a few hours a week corresponding with
> the student, i.e. providing feedback, answering questions, etc., or does it
> require a major time commitment?

You have to register as a mentor on
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/dprogramminglanguage
to apply.

Regarding commitment I found the following.
http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs#mentor_role
http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs#mentor_eligible
I quote what may be interesting.
"A person or group of people responsible for monitoring the progress of
each accepted student and to mentor her/him as the project progresses"
"A written evaluation of each student participant, including how s/he
worked with the group, whether s/he should be invited back should we do
another Google Summer of Code, etc."
"Google does not have specific eligibility requirements for mentors, as
we know our mentoring organizations will be best able to determine the
selection criteria for their mentors."

Jens