[OT] open-source license issues

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 19:06:59 PDT 2011

Am 12.04.2011 04:00, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
> "Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:io0blg$jsc$5 at digitalmars.com...

>>> I also wander, what people plan to do with libmysql? It's GPL.
>>
>> Doesn't mysql even have some retarded restriction like "it's GPL but may
>> not be used for commercial purposes so buy mysql if you wanna use it to
>> make money"?
>>
>> Maybe someone has already reimplemented a mysql-client under a more free
>> license?
>>

> PostgreSQL? ;)

Well I'd always use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL when having the choice, but
1. often MySQL needs to be used because it's already there
2. PostgreSQL uses the BSD-License which also isn't suitable for Phobos.

BTW: I think PHP has a native SQL driver (under their BSD-style PHP
license) - maybe that could be adapted to be used with D, if it's
written in C. This still couldn't be shipped with Phobos, but at least
there are no stupid restrictions on using it for commercial software.