std.parallelism is accepted into Phobos

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Apr 26 09:33:38 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-26 17:09, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 4/26/11 7:50 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 08:32 -0400, dsimcha wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>>
>>> Soon. I'm praying that I can figure out makefiles in that time to check
>>> std.parallelism in, since I think they're harder to work with than
>>> multithreading. (Ok, I'm exaggerating.) Among the other major
>>> improvements in this release:
>>
>> Isn't Make 1970s technology, I'd have thought D would use more
>> up-to-date build technology than that -- even though Go uses it and
>> refuses to look at other options.
>
> The debate about make being inadequate is almost as old as make itself
> :o). Our gnu makefile for Posix isn't in any way difficult or scary,
> although it did take a few iterations to get it right. It has 312 lines
> to control a build of 143KLOC, which is a good ratio. The only
> difficulty David would have to modify that makefile is to find the one
> place where all modules are enumerated, and insert his module's name
> there, so I have no idea why he finds that task daunting. (The Windows
> makefile is crappier and repeats itself a lot of times so that's more
> annoying to deal with.)

I just counted how may times a module name is repeated (in the windows
makefile), "isemail" is repeated nine times. I mean, that's insane. I
should only have to write it a one place, not nine.

One thing I think it's scary about makefiles is that I can add or remove
a single space and it all breaks down I have no idea why. It took me
some time to figure out that makefiles are very sensitive about spaces.

--
/Jacob Carlborg