What does C++ do better than D? - StackOverflow.com

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Aug 3 02:08:07 PDT 2011

On Wednesday 03 August 2011 04:52:51 Kagamin wrote:
> Don Wrote:
> > Completely agree. Right now, we don't *want* to attract anybody who
> > expects a finished product. We shouldn't advertise as if we do.
>
> Well, there's not such thing as a finished product. Things either rock or
> suck. If something doesn't work, it sucks, but that's manageable with
> advertisement: Americans think what you say them to think. They can't even
> use tabs for code formatting.

There's a difference between a programming language which has reached an
appropriate level of maturity that people can use it without fear of running
into compiler bugs or issues with the spec and a language which is frozen. No,
D will likely never be frozen. It will continue to evolve. We may very well
end up making D3 at some point. But until dmd and Phobos are at the point that
it's unlikely that you're going to run into bugs in them (like you'd expect
with C++, Java, python, etc.), then D isn't really mature enough for
mainstream use, and a lot of people who try it out will get turned off by it.
We're approaching the point where we'll have that kind of stability, but we're
not there yet. And it's important that we recognize that fact.

- Jonathan M Davis