Fixing valid options for std.getopt

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Aug 9 18:11:05 PDT 2011

> On 8/10/11 2:57 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > It's _very_ odd for dmd to have flags which are multi-character but only
> > take a single -, and I'd argue that that's not behavior which should be
> > emulated.
>
> I don't know what your definition of odd is, but some counterexamples
> that immediately come to my mind: GCC, just about every Java VM,
> LLVM/Clang, …

I mean that most programs don't work that way - at least not the ones that
I've used. Some _do_ work that way, but in my experience, it's abnormal. I do
find it interesting though that all of the examples that you give are
compilers or related to compilers. Assuming that they're the prime examples of
programs that work that way, I wonder if there's something particular about
compilers which makes it so that they don't follow the more general trend (the
overabundance of flags that they have perhaps?). But maybe my experience in
the matter is just lopsided.

- Jonathan M Davis