Fixing valid options for std.getopt

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 18:57:04 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM, David Nadlinger <see at klickverbot.at> wrote:

> On 8/10/11 2:57 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> It's _very_ odd for dmd to have flags which are multi-character but only
>> take
>> a single -, and I'd argue that that's not behavior which should be
>> emulated.
>>

> I don't know what your definition of odd is, but some counterexamples that
> immediately come to my mind: GCC, just about every Java VM, LLVM/Clang, …
>
> David

I can't think of an example with GCC. It does things like
-fdisable-some-option, but I can't think of a multicharacter _flag_.
Also, I've always felt that the way Java VMs take arguments feels like it
grew organically into something terrible (-Xmx512m! -Xkill-the-rabbit!). I
can't speak to LLVM/Clang.

Could you post a few specific examples? It's hard to generalize with this
sort of thing.

(And don't even get me started on Windows. Should I be using /? or -? or =?
or -help or --FML-this-OS-doesn't-support-CLI)