PSP emulator written in D

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 01:04:23 PDT 2011

On 9/08/11 10:15 PM, bearophile wrote:
> So to blow on this tiny fire, do you know ways to improve the D2 language and D2 Phobos to help game development?

There's different levels of game developer. Indies will mostly want
convenience, but AAA developers need control.

For example, a good vector + matrix + quaternion math library would be
great for indies, but AAA developers would likely write their own, even
if the library was highly optimised with SIMD, floatInVec etc.

SIMD intrinsics are obviously essential for AAA development.

The garbage collector is something that still needs work. My current
project has several second stalls every once in a while due to the GC
(indies might be happy to miss a frame or two (30-60ms) but AAA
developers won't, so you either don't use the GC, or it has to collect
in under a couple of ms).

I managed to remove all my per-frame allocations, but this was not easy.
I had to modify my druntime to print out when allocations where
happening to find them (most were those static array initialisations
that I often talk about).

Of course, having libraries available for audio/image
are already available through Derelict. I don't think they need to be in
Phobos.

The most important thing at the moment is just to get the language into
a usable state and to get all the advertised features working. We also
need more tutorials and resources to explain the subtler parts of D2
(e.g. when, why and how template alias parameters work).