PSP emulator written in D

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Aug 10 04:21:46 PDT 2011

Peter Alexander:

>There's different levels of game developer. Indies will mostly want convenience, but AAA developers need control.<

Right. Both groups are important.

>For example, a good vector + matrix + quaternion math library would be great for indies, but AAA developers would likely write their own, even if the library was highly optimised with SIMD, floatInVec etc.<

A 2D/3D/4D vector is good to have in Phobos. (Quaternion are optional).

>SIMD intrinsics are obviously essential for AAA development.<

The problem is they change as time goes. So instead of adding a ton of those (ugly) intrinsics, I suggest to add a meta-feature to D: a syntax to write inlin-able asm expressions (as present in LDC). With this syntax, SIMD intrinsics become library (even Phobos) code to standardize.

>I had to modify my druntime to print out when allocations where happening to find them (most were those static array initialisations that I often talk about).<

This is useful. Why don't you create a patch that (when a specific compiler switch is on) lists at compile-time all heap allocations and closure allocations of a compilation unit?

>The most important thing at the moment is just to get the language into a usable state<

This will take time, and you can't rush it.

Thank you for the answers,
bye,
bearophile