Haskell [Was: Re: A few comments about D]

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Aug 24 04:22:26 PDT 2011

Caligo:

> Haskell is one of the most beautiful languages. I wish I had discovered it sooner.

I am now able to write small Haskell programs. It has some features and parts that I like significantly (and I'd like some of them in D too!), but so far I am not appreciating it much on the whole. It feels almost like a "puzzle language", as Forth (almost, but not really). Those operators are not easy to find in the documentation, the purpose of all those little functions is not easy to remember, and its obsession with purity sometimes turns easy things into very complex things (I like purity and immutability, but not much inside functions, so I prefer D). It's good for some kinds of tasks (Euler Puzzles, certain math tasks, certain experiments about types), acceptable for other tasks (some generic algorithms, some string processing, etc), and bad for many other purposes, so it doesn't feel like a general purpose language. I am sometimes able to write very short programs with it, but often they are slow. It's not easy for me to tell how much efficient a program will be, once compiled with GHC. Keep in mind that I am a newbie of Haskell, so don't take my comments too much seriously :-)

Bye,
bearophile