[OT] Threading (Was: bug covering other bug)

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 26 23:01:21 PDT 2011

On 8/26/2011 10:29 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:44:16 +0300, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think the mailing list software is what's at fault.  There's
>> _tons_ of people who use it, myself included obviously.  If it was a
>> general problem with the list software (mailman, probably the most
>> popular list management software out there), it'd be a lot more
>> prevelant.  Try again.
>
> Did you even read my explanation?
>
> There is no room for doubt that the mailing list is replacing message IDs. The message ID has "mailman" and
> "puremagic.com" in it, for crying out loud.
>
> If you're so damn confident that Mailman is absolutely perfect and cannot be flawed, have you considered that it might
> be a problem with how you've set it up?

Way to get unnecessarily emotional.. relax a little.

I did read your mail.  I was reacting to your over generalization that the list software is "just a shoddy frontend to
the nntp server" and that people should stop using it.  I never claimed it couldn't be buggy.

The bug report that Jerome dug up is interesting, and also helps further my point, it's not a general problem with all
messages between the nntp and smtp gateways.  It seems to require cross-posting.  That would match better with the
frequency of occurrence of the problem, both are fairly rare.

Looks like they've been discussing options for a fix, though not terribly actively.  Once it's fixed, and released in an
update shipped with ubuntu, I'll get it installed.  There's another workaround, if the report is accurate, don't
cross-post to multiple newsgroups.  Not a lot of reason to do so with the D groups.