The current status of D?

Mehrdad wfunction at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 2 07:23:46 PST 2011

On 12/2/2011 4:25 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> You have to be joking.
I wasn't, but if it makes you feel better then you can think of it that way.

> Its design is not broken and the implementation has almost caught up.
> (there are some obscure implicit conversions that should be allowed
> and some that shouldn't that DMD does not get right yet.) Please give
> objective information (as Jesse Phillips did.)
I can't see how the question I posted was subjective, but thanks for the
suggestion...

> Regarding you little problem, why did you think using inout would not
> work for classes? I just posted an answer on SO that shows that it does.
Because your example also used inout for opSlice()   (in fact, for
pretty much everything), something that the original answer had not
suggested and which I never envisioned I should do.
I guess the documentation should be filled with more/better examples?
That was rather obscure.

> BTW, I think most features in D are 'supposed to be one of its highest
> strengths', by that measure.
lol, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov%27s_inequality says this is
impossible.
-------

 > I never envisioned how inout would work on a ctor.
Yeah, neither did I (and especially not the way it was used on opSlice,
the way it's used just like 'const'), so I just thought it was
impossible. IMO if the documentation doesn't explain these, not everyone
will figure things out on their own...

 > inout has fixed many of these issues.  There is still work to be
done, but I think we're in a much better place than we were before.
Yeah, it looks fine when you use inout on everything (instead of const),
thanks to both!