Java > Scala

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri Dec 2 11:29:18 PST 2011

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:56:41 -0800
"Adam Wilson" <flyboynw at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Adam,

> Gour, I'd love to talk to you more about GUI's. I am new to D, but I
> have spent years working with GUI toolkits and studying their
> construction.

Well, I'm just someone with not-so-much free time looking to help some
GUI bindings project in order to be able to use it for open-source
project(s).

> My company would like to move to D in the future but, among other
> things, the lack of a first class GUI toolkit makes that a non-starter
> at the moment. If such a thing existed my company would be very
> willing to jump ship.

This is one of the best paragraph I read in this newsgroup in a recent
time. I hope it will be loud-enough.

> And I have permission to use some limited company resources, mostly
> just web hosting for the project right now, but ability to expand that
> latter if the project shows progress.

I believe that stuff like bitbucket/github should be enough...

> I would also be up for leading the project, but a project of this
> size would need lots of contributors. And there still needs to be
> serious discussions about how to design such a project.

/me nods

> Personally, my UI design background tends away from traditional style
> toolkits like wxD and DWT, and as such I would probably want to take
> the project in a different direction than those.

Interesting...

> For example, all of our software at work is built on WPF and I can say
> that I completely believe that WPF style UI toolkits are the way of
> the future.

Hmm...but WPF is Windows-only, right?

Moreover, developing something from the scratch woudl require enormous
amount of time in comparison with *just* providing higher-level D-ish
API for some of the already available GUI toolkit.

On top of that, I believe that the best forces available within D-army
are now focused on improving DMD/Phobos, so don't know how many soldiers
are ready into going developing something new.

Let me say, that when the time matures, I'm definitely to have some
solution more suitable for D and its advantages over e.g. C(++), but for
now I believe that just having some pragmatic solution in the form of
actively-worked-on project covering one of the {gtk,qt,wx}.

> Besides, why cover the same ground that those two projects are
> already covering? I could list all the pro's and con's that we've
> discovered in actual usage of WPF but I don't want to needlessly
> clutter up this thread which has little to do with UI. :-)

Time & effort which are limited in D community right now?

> You can find me on IRC as LightBender and the email account I list
> here is actively monitored.

I'm available as 'gour' on IRC.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As a strong wind sweeps away a boat on the water,
even one of the roaming senses on which the mind