A new web newsreader

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Dec 8 05:13:36 PST 2011

On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 12:27:44 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> you receive an A+ from me!
>
> BTW, is there any way to sort the threaded view so that the
> newest messages appear on top?  Simply because, in a web page,
> the top is what shows up first.

Thanks :) The reason why I chose to sort by older posts first is
a bit convoluted:

Generally, in a threaded discussion, replies always have to
appear below their parents. Even though it's possible to sort
siblings in the reverse order, it would be rather inconsistent.
The same goes with entire threads - the last post in a group will
appear as the *bottom-most* child of its parent, inside the
*topmost* thread.

This was not a problem for the split-view mode, because
JavaScript scrolls down the message list when the page is loaded.
I've finished the threaded view after the split-view, which
inherited its order. I decided to leave it as it is for
consistency with what the view was modelled after - mailing list
archives.

I'm thinking that we could eventually have a "Preferences" page,
where we could go nuts with options and customization.