A new web newsreader

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 05:23:52 PST 2011

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 08:13:36 -0500, Vladimir Panteleev
<vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:

> On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 12:27:44 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> you receive an A+ from me!
>>
>> BTW, is there any way to sort the threaded view so that the newest
>> messages appear on top?  Simply because, in a web page, the top is what
>> shows up first.
>
> Thanks :) The reason why I chose to sort by older posts first is a bit
> convoluted:
>
> Generally, in a threaded discussion, replies always have to appear below
> their parents. Even though it's possible to sort siblings in the reverse
> order, it would be rather inconsistent. The same goes with entire
> threads - the last post in a group will appear as the *bottom-most*
> child of its parent, inside the *topmost* thread.

Having the newest post at the bottom of the top-most group is acceptable
for a threaded view, simply because in a threaded view, that is the
natural order.

But having the newest item near the bottom of the page makes it slightly
annoying, since it isn't the focus when the page loads.

Would a simple "scroll to bottom on page load" in javascript be possible?
I know there are some nicks on this newsgroup who don't like JS, but their
browser simply won't scroll.  So what.

> This was not a problem for the split-view mode, because JavaScript
> scrolls down the message list when the page is loaded. I've finished the
> threaded view after the split-view, which inherited its order. I decided
> to leave it as it is for consistency with what the view was modelled
> after - mailing list archives.

I understand.  I'm just used to webnews which put the threads with the
newest posts on top.  But I think a simliar javascript solution would be
acceptable.

> I'm thinking that we could eventually have a "Preferences" page, where
> we could go nuts with options and customization.

Probably, this is a cool project.  If I ever come across having to use
forum software, I'm going to use it.

Now, you just need the management pages to administer a real forum :)

-Steve