A new web newsreader

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Dec 8 06:06:46 PST 2011

On Thursday, 8 December 2011 at 13:51:21 UTC, Robert Clipsham
wrote:
> * Support syntax highlighting for blocks enclosed with --- like
> DDoc does, maybe other types of blocks too such as {{{}}} that
> trac uses, or whatever github uses.

I'm not very excited about the idea of introducing formatting
features that only users of this web interface will see. Frequent
use of such features would annoy users of other interfaces, and
there's the risk of accidentally activating them.

> * Does the mailing list have the same restriction as gmane has
> (no posting)?

Yes. Clicking on "Create thread" or "Reply" will display a
message with a link to the Mailman page. I could probably
implement posting if Brad says it's OK, but focused discussion
groups such as development mailing lists might actually benefit
from a high barrier to entry.

> * Thundrbird has a "mark read" function for
> threads/messages/newsgroups - that'd be really useful.

"Mark thread as [un]read" keys should be easy to add. It would
also be possible to mark all posts as read, but not on a
per-group basis.

> * In the horizontal-split view if you scroll down too far in
> the thread you can't see the current thread title, it would be
> good to make that sticky until you reach the next thread so you
> can see where you're up to

This isn't possible with just CSS. A JavaScript implementation
might be possible. I'll think about it.

Maybe we should just reverse the thread sort order, like for the
"threaded" view?

> Another one - log in using OpenID so I don't have to remember
> another username/password ;)

I'd be happy to if you provide a D OpenID implementation :)

(Last I checked, implementing OpenID from scratch was quite hard)