If I had my way

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Dec 10 11:23:02 PST 2011

I think we have a great release in the making: 64-bit code generation on
OSX, improved floating point arithmetic, and a bunch of bugfixes.

Yet, if I had my way, I'd stop the release until every single complaint
of Mehrdad's recent rampage has been looked at and addressed. Sure, we
can label Mehrdad as a whiny baby, but I suspect his experience is
representative for the out-of-the-box experience of many others: they
see D's cool features, they download the compiler to try it out on their
own terms, and as soon as they deviate from what is tried and works, or
they combine features in an unusual yet meaningful manner, it all comes
unglued.

It's about time to make a statement of reconnecting with our community,
and in particular to the whiny babies out there. Sure, the kind of stuff
we have in this beta is useful. Floating point arithmetic benchmarks
have long hurt us, and 64-bit generation on OSX is a gating issue. But
simple, long-standing issues that make babies whine are very important,
too, and require our immediate attention.

I vote for making a strong point of fixing these out-of-the-box
experience issues raised before we move forward with this release.

Andrei