SDC & ddmd

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Dec 10 14:23:44 PST 2011

On 12/10/11 3:59 PM, Somedude wrote:
> Le 10/12/2011 10:56, Bernard Helyer a écrit :
>> On Saturday, 10 December 2011 at 09:51:08 UTC, Somedude wrote:
>>> Le 10/12/2011 08:54, Piotr Szturmaj a écrit :
>>> And it would be *far* more frustrating for the users, who would observe
>>> different behaviors and different bugs on different compilers. Hence
>>> that would mean that writing portable code necessits to test it with all
>>> compilers.
>>
>> Just like Javascript, HTML, C, C++, Ada, Perl, Fortran, Cobol, and any
>> language in existence that's even remotely widely used?
>
> True, but the difference is, the D community cannot afford to waste its
> strengths to correct different bugs on several compilers. It is way too
> small for that.

That's definitely true, but at the same time the notion of "community"
is rather amorphous. At the end of the day a community doesn't reason
and act like an individual, and no member of the community, however
willing, will always act the way that's in the best rational interest of
the community.

One can't impose people in a community what to work on on their own free
time. But things can be improved with good leadership and example. This
is something Walter and I want to improve on.

Andrei