If I had my way

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:50:02 PST 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:08:15 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Actually my experience is that new users try very early advanced
> examples all over the map. Some indeed try const. Some others try
> interfaces with contract. Some others try concurrency. Some others try
> dimensional analysis. And so on - these examples are drawn only from
> vague recent memories.

I guess what gets me on const is that everyone thinks they know how to
use it. It is one item where it isn't used because we say, "hey D has
transitive const it is great!" The user is interested in just using D and
if from C++ are in the habit of putting const everywhere.

So in essence it is one of the "not being interested as 'I've seen it
before.'" And then the ultimate response we have to give is, "No, no, D
is different, it is broken."

Concurrency, well there isn't a preconception on how D does it. And
immutable is part of it, and const is part of that.

Interface contracts was definitely good.

>> There was a concentration on TDPL bugs before the book came out, lets
>> bring that back and get them done for 2.058:
>> http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?
query_format=advanced&short_desc=tdpl&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr

>> What do you say team?
>
> We have indeed identified TDPL alignment an important strategic
> objective. There are more (and more important) bugs than those you
> linked, but I haven't found the time yet to make a pass through them.

I just search on bugs with tdpl in the subject (important convention). I
don't want fixing other bugs to stop, but to have another concentrated
effort on one thing, for the next week/two might be a good choice.