.dmg installer for OSX?

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Sun Dec 11 14:20:15 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 2:10 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
>
>> Perhaps a .pkg would be more appropriate?
>>

> What we want is a one-click installer, whatever that might be on OSX.

Apple's official guidelines are to use a .dmg if all the installer needs to
do is copy files.  Otherwise a .pkg is required to run install scripts.  I
don't believe you can write to any folder but /Applications with a .dmg
(which gets an exception for writing by non-root users).

If DMD does need to run scripts or install to somewhere other than
/Applications I highly recommend using Iceberg instead of PackageMaker
(which in my opinion is absolutely terrible).