dfeed/gravatar issue

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 11:53:08 PST 2011

On 12/12/11 4:53 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Monday, 12 December 2011 at 06:15:02 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Spam filters (much like just about anything Google is big into) are a
>> fundamentally broken approach.
>
>  From a practical perspective, the hassle of being paranoid about spam
> is overweighted by the insignificant inconveniences of a good spam filter.
>
> Also, not publishing your e-mail address is not fool-proof. Two of the
> people who have contacted me previously have had their accounts hacked,
> so I started receiving spam from them (these are the rare false
> negatives I mentioned). I think it's safe to say that my address was
> also added to those spammers' general lists.
>
> And that's not to mention the occasional technically incompetent person
> from some organization/event you had contact with that will publish your
> address on the web for you.

In Andrei's particular case, his email is already out there in plain
text. I get 85 pages on Google when I search for it in double-quotes,
the majority from this newsgroup.

My email gets 8780 hits on Google, and I don't think I've seen any spam
get through Gmail's filter (I get about 1-2 spam messages in the spam
folder a day).

Make of that what you will.