D1 to be discontinued on December 31, 2012

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+d at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 22:26:16 PST 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 22:57:02 +0000, Jesse Phillips wrote:

> I haven't used D1 for a long time so I can't claim a bad choice here.

Actually I think I can state an opinion here. The two things that stand
out in my mind are.

* There has been a statement of supporting D1 while it is in use (or at
least has a decent number of users). Maybe there aren't any, I don't see
replies claiming such.

* One argument against dropping it was that the bugs were common between
both languages, so the effort isn't that great to maintain both. Did that
change with the increase in issues being fixed?

So I tried a thought experiment. What if this was D2. If D3 was taking
its place? If D just got up and died one year from now? How is the Python
users handling it?

http://www.reddit.com/tb/n3q7q

And I'd be ok with it. I guess that makes sense, I have been using D2
even with it breaking code every couple steps. But the truth is, I'm
using it for what it is now, not what it will be. What I use right now
will still be here, and all the code I'm using is available.

Sure getting better *cough* tool *coff* support and shared libraries is
something to look forward to, but I'm not using them now.

(So in one year, D will live on, and lets hope this improvement continues)

PS. The reddit discussion about Python3's UTF support is interesting.
Sounds like D got it right, and Python 3 failed.