dfeed

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Dec 14 09:02:11 PST 2011

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.v6dq5dj9eav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:44:05 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> One idea for Vladimir's dfeed: it would be great to automatically post
>> the tweets of D_language to digitalmars.D.announce.
>
> Please don't involve twitter on the newsgroups.  If I wanted to follow D
> on twitter, I'd sign up for a twitter account.

Ditto.

> I don't mind the twitter  feed on the front page, because I rarely ever
> view that page, and it's  good to appeal to people already involved with
> twitter.

I do enter through the front page a lot, and while I don't usually see the
twitface feed (b/c I use FF2 with lots of crap-blocking plugins...and
please, can I mention FF2 *ONCE* without some crusader deciding I need to be
saved by "upgrade your browser" evangelism?), I do get the twit feed with
other browsers and I'd be thrilled for it to disappear.

Even setting aside my own opinions of twitface (ie, that it's useless,
moronic, aptly-named, and deserves to go out of business), there are still
real issues with it:

- It *significantly* slows down the page load. I'll describe it this way:
FF2 is well known to be super-slow compared to every other modern browser,
including newer versions of FF. And yet, my twitface-blocking FF2 loads the
page many times *faster* (it's *very* noticable) than *every* modern
non-twitface-blocking browser I've thrown at it.

- I think it may be crashing Iron (ie, Chrome sans the malware). It's either
the twit feed or the google translator, but something on the homepage is
crashing Iron/Chrome for me (it happens after the main HTML/CSS loads and
gets displayed).

- It's extremely visually-jarring. It doesn't fit the visual style of the
rest of the page at all. Which might be acceptable on a minor sub-page, but
it's no good for the language's primary entryway.

- People who care about twitface can subscribe to it themselves. Forcing it
on everyone else is not only rude, but it effectively amounts to an
advertisement for twitface right on D's homepage - which is grossly
inappropriate (even regardless of anyone's personal opinions of twitface).
It's no different from sticking "Drink Mountin Dew!" up on there.