Bitmapped vector tries vs. arrays

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 06:23:10 PST 2011

Le 18/12/2011 09:22, Andrei Alexandrescu a écrit :
> This is bound to turn interesting:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/nddlj/extreme_cleverness_functional_data_structures_in/
>

> Andrei

Interesting speach, but thoses datastructures are kind of trying dealing
with a nail using a screwdriver. Problems solved here are not problem
that nicely solve in functionnal, so why use functionnal ?

I did always think it is stupid to enforce a paradigm because it is
supposed to be supperior, blablabla . . .

Java did it with OOP, and we end up with many stupid thing, static main
within a class. OOP is working for some stuff, and not for others. Just
as functionnal.

Secondly, I think this conf is going out of sanity during the butmap
vector trie presentation (about 40 mins). Many claims not backed with
facts, and messy explaination (the cache stuff doesn't exlain in any way
how this datastruct can be faster than ArrayList, and I bet it isn't
expect on a flawed benchmark). No idea why polymorphism is revealant
here either - but this is most likely an error and not the word the
speaker wanted to use.

Some argument are not convincing. OK, log32(n) is close to O(1) in many
cases but it isn't O(1). Matter of fact.

It look like the author try to convince us that oranges can taste like
banana, and show us many techniques to go in that direction, but this is
useless as logn as we have banana available.

Thoses datastruct are interesting anyway on a research perspective.