Java > Scala

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Dec 18 15:08:11 PST 2011

On 12/18/11 1:08 PM, Isaac Gouy wrote:
>> From: Russel Winder
>> Subject: Re: Java>  Scala
>> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.d.general
>> Sat, 17 Dec 2011 22:18:26 -0800
>
>> I really rather object to being labelled an educated idiot.
>> If you want to look at even more biased benchmarking look at
>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ it is fundamentally designed to show
>> that C is the one true language for writing performance computation.
>
> I rather object to the baseless accusation that the benchmarks game is "designed to show that C is the one true language for writing performance computation."
>
> Your accusation is false.
>
> Your accusation is ignorant (literally).

It also strikes me as something rather random to say. Far as I can tell
the shootout comes with plenty of warnings and qualifications and uses a
variety of tests that don't seem chosen to favor C or generally systems
programming languages.

But I'm sure Russel had something in mind. Russel, would you want to
expand a bit?

Thanks,

Andrei