Java > Scala

Somedude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sun Dec 18 15:15:33 PST 2011

Le 18/12/2011 05:45, Caligo a écrit :

> I choose to ignore Java for technical and non-technical reasons.  Unlike
> you, I don't need to spend years of my life doing Java programming to
> realize what a joke it is, and I have never seen a case where Java was
> just as fas as C++.  This is one of those myths, or corporate
> propaganda, that's been propagated by educated idiots.  I and the teams
> I've been a member of have solved countless CS problems that have
> required every kind of data structure and algorithm, and not once have I
> seen Java come close to C/C++.  On average, Java has been about 20 times
> slower than C++ and requiring on average 50 times more memory when it
> came to solving those problems.  If you honestly believe that Java can
> be just as fast as C++, then go to http://www.spoj.pl/ and pick a
> problem and submit a solution in Java that's no more than 3 times slower
> than C/C++ and requires no more than 10 times more memory.

I'm sorry for being blunt, but I know bullshit when I see it, and that's
a load of it.

Here is the kind of performance you can expect from the JVM: a factor of
2.5x to native C++.
That's from the Box2D physics game engine.

http://blog.j15r.com/2011/12/for-those-unfamiliar-with-it-box2d-is.html

This is very much in line with what the The Computer Language Benchmark
Game gives (and I've come to realize by experience that it's actually
quite accurate when evaluating maximum speed for languages) and very
much what I've come to expect in practice.