DI Generation Needs your Help!

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:04:27 PST 2011

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:46:39 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 12/22/11 1:07 AM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> The latest DI generation code is now on my Git account and ready for
>> testing. It fixes the following issues:
>>
>> 1. Variables in template functions/classes would be stripped of their
>> initializers.
>> 2. Manifest Constants would lose their initializers.
>>
>> DI generation is getting close! Every Phobos DI module I've tried has
>> passed the VisualD parser/lexer (for whatever that is worth). I want to
>> do some build testing with those files, but even complicated modules
>> like std.algorithm and std.regex are passing the lexer/parser. If
>> everything goes well with that testing I'll open up a pull for dmd.
>> Hopefully proper DI generation will make it into 2.058!
>> You can get the latest from my git account here:
>> https://LightBender@github.com/LightBender/dmd.git
>>

> Great! Did you fix indentation?
>
> Also, I think testing with Visual Studio is insufficient. One good test
> is to extract all unittest code from std modules, and then make sure it
> compiles and runs when you only import the .di files.
>
> Andrei

No I haven't, there is an open pull for something about indentations, so I
wasn't sure if I needed to. I will certainly do what I can for
indentations, but the generation process is a bit messy so I can't promise
it will be perfect.

I completely agree, it's just the baseline sanity check I'm using while I
hack on it. Unless there is a way to export the unit tests automatically,
I don't have the time to hand port all the unit tests for Phobos. I think
I'll just pick a few modules with differing levels of complexity and use
those unit tests.

--
Adam Wilson
Project Coordinator