std.xml should just go

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Feb 3 14:56:00 PST 2011

"Gary Whatmore" <no at spam.sp> wrote in message
news:iif81d$1ch8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:41:08 -0500, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > They can claim whatever they want.. if Tomek says he only looked at the
>> > documentation (for an idea how a good interface for a XML lib may look
>> > like)
>> > they can hardly prove anything.
>>
>> This exact situation was the case of the prior-mentioned infringement
>> accusation.
>
> It's sad to read how much these Tango assholes are trying to wreck the
> whole language. I doubt their implementation is any better than the high
> performance C++ libraries. I've been using RapidXML before and it's damn
> fast. My recipe for success would be: use the Boost license, do a clean
> room implementation inspired by the best C++ code, use ranges instead of
> slices or iterators, use Phobos free function and naming conventions, get
> Andrei's blessing. This will teach the Tango douchebags a lesson or two.
>
> They always complain about us doing NIH code. But they're forcing us!

Nothing of that sort happened. One of the Tango guys was thoughtful enough
to inform Walter of a situation that *could* be viewed by a purely
hypothetical super-uptight third person as being potentially infringing.
Walter is (perhaps understandably) paranoid about potential accusations so
disallowed the code in question. This NG then exploded in speculation, and
the Tango guys fueled that fire by being extremely reluctant to say anything
at all about the matter. The problem was miscommunication and legal
bullshit, *not* a "good guys vs bad guys" situation (if there was *any* "bad
guys" side it's the court/legal system).