D vs Go on reddit

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 06:08:17 PST 2011

On 02/09/2011 02:01 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Walter Bright"<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>  wrote in message
> news:iicfaa$23j7$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/fdqdn/google_go_just_got_major_win32_treats_now/c1f62a0
>
> You'd think that things like JS, Haskell, LISP and Java circa v1.2 would
> have taught people that extreme simplicity/orthogonality is a stupid way to
> design a language that's intended to be used in the real world. But people
> keep flocking to that silver bullet anyway.

Yop! this said, I recently read (no pointer, sorry) about a possibly
interesting third way: making the core language as close to orthogonal as
possible w/o making the rest difficult, then build compromises as sugar layers
around (syntactic & semantic).
This may be, actually, more or less close to how some actual languages are
actually constructed; but I find that making this principle intentonal and
intentional totally changes the whole approach. Also think this well fits the
design of PL with a main/core paradigm/style (not so for D, probably).

Denis