Stupid little iota of an idea

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 11:18:38 PST 2011

On 02/13/2011 01:17 PM, foobar wrote:
> Lutger Blijdestijn Wrote:
>

>> first rule of usability: don't listen to users
>>
>> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010805.html
>>

> I fail to see how that page ( which talks about website design ) applies to what I've said.
> It says that you should look at what people _do_ instead of what they _say_. How would you apply this to Phobos' naming conventions?

Agreed. I know a bit this design guru's work. The titles of his articles are
often misleading, even more out of context. What he point to is the common
practice of design team managers taking decisions based on studies about users
just giving an advice after a superficial look on the design's appearance;
often without any trial at using the interface, not to say real usability
experiments.

To re-center on the case of this thread, I'm 99% sure this guy (the guru) would
certainly carefully listen to comments from "power-user" who have past
experience on using other interfaces providing similar functionality, and have
really tried using the new one for a while.

> How about this:
> Show a code sample using "iota" to users who never programmed in D and ask them what that code does.

Agreed. On the other hand, I also agree with people stating good design mirrors
some/one/'s vision...

Denis