Integer conversions too pedantic in 64-bit

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 06:09:54 PST 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:50:21 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
> news:ijesem$brd$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:op.vqx78nkceav7ka at steve-laptop...
>>>
>>> size_t works,  it has a precedent, it's already *there*, just use it,
>>> or
>>> alias it if you  don't like it.
>>>

>> One could make much the same argument about the whole of C++. It works,
>> it
>> has a precedent, it's already *there*, just use it.
>>

> The whole reason I came to D was because, at the time, D was more
> interested
> in fixing C++'s idiocy than just merely aping C++ as the theme seems to
> be
> now.

Nick, this isn't a feature, it's not a design, it's not a whole language,
it's a *single name*, one which is easily changed if you want to change it.

module nick;

alias size_t wordsize;

Now you can use it anywhere, it's sooo freaking simple, I don't understand
the outrage.

BTW, what I meant about it's already there is that any change to the
size_t name would have to have some benefit besides "it's a different
name" because it will break any code that currently uses it.  If this
whole argument is to just add another alias, then I'll just stop reading
this thread since it has no point.

-Steve