Integer conversions too pedantic in 64-bit

gölgeliyele usuldan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 06:23:09 PST 2011

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:50:21 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message

> module nick;
>
> alias size_t wordsize;
>
> Now you can use it anywhere, it's sooo freaking simple, I don't
> understand the outrage.

But that is somewhat selfish. Given size_t causes dissatisfaction with a
lot of people, people will start create their won aliases and then you
end up having 5 different versions of it around. If this type is an
important one for writing architecture independent code that can take
advantage of architectural limits, then we better don't have 5 different
names for it in common code.

I don't think changing stuff like this should be distruptive. size_t can
be marked deprecated and could be removed in a future release, giving
people enough time to adapt.

Furthermore, with the 64-bit support in dmd approaching, this is the
time to do it, if ever.