CMake for D2 ready for testers

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Tue Feb 22 00:42:46 PST 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:22:54 +0100
Jens Mueller <jens.k.mueller at gmx.de> wrote:

> With CMakeD, you clone the repository, i.e.
> $ hg clone http://cmaked2.googlecode.com/hg/ cmaked2
> and
> $ cd cmaked2/cmaked
> $ mkdir build
> $ cd build
> $ cmake ..
> $ make install
>
> to install it. That will copy the necessary files into your CMake
> installation.

I installed CMakeD from the archlinux package, then pulled from the
repo and tried tests suite. Here is the result:

[gour at atmarama tests] make
Scanning dependencies of target lib_1
[ 10%] Building D object lib_1/CMakeFiles/lib_1.dir/lib_1.o
Linking D static library liblib_1.a
[ 10%] Built target lib_1
Scanning dependencies of target lib_2
[ 20%] Building C object lib_2/CMakeFiles/lib_2.dir/lib_2.o
Linking C static library liblib_2.a
[ 20%] Built target lib_2
Scanning dependencies of target app_1
[ 30%] Building D object app_1/CMakeFiles/app_1.dir/app_1.o
Linking D executable app_1
[ 30%] Built target app_1
Scanning dependencies of target app_2
[ 40%] Building D object app_2/CMakeFiles/app_2.dir/app_2.o
Linking D executable app_2
[ 40%] Built target app_2
Scanning dependencies of target app_3
[ 50%] Building D object app_3/CMakeFiles/app_3.dir/app_3.o
Linking D executable app_3
[ 50%] Built target app_3
Scanning dependencies of target app_5
[ 60%] Building D object app_5/CMakeFiles/app_5.dir/app_5.o
[ 70%] Building C object app_5/CMakeFiles/app_5.dir/cfunc.o
Linking D executable app_5
[ 70%] Built target app_5
Scanning dependencies of target app_4
[ 80%] Building D object app_4/CMakeFiles/app_4.dir/app_4.o
Linking D executable app_4
[ 80%] Built target app_4
Scanning dependencies of target app_6
[ 90%] Building D object app_6/CMakeFiles/app_6.dir/app_6.o
Linking D executable app_6
[ 90%] Built target app_6
Scanning dependencies of target app_7
[100%] Building D object app_7/CMakeFiles/app_7.dir/app_7.o
std.perf has been scheduled for deprecation. Please use std.datetime
instead.
Linking D executable app_7
[100%] Built target app_7

Is it OK?

> I do not know yet. I think both of them are pretty weak regarding
> already available modules, i.e. files to find a specific dependency.
> Gyp is developed for building Chromium. They had a problem with SCons
> while migrating to it.
> They also wrote in what regard CMake didn't work out for them
> http://code.google.com/p/gyp/wiki/GypVsCMake

Do you have any issue with CMake that it does not work for you?

Considering that KDE is (still) using it, I assume that, despite its
possible awkwardness, it must be quite robust build system.

> I like premake for it's readability see
> http://industriousone.com/sample-script and it's all Lua. Though I'm
> not sure whether I can keep two scripting languages in my head. But
> Lua seems to be very simple.

I consider to maybe use Lua as scripting DSL in our app...we'll
see...it's still too early to say...so, yes, it is cute language, but
premake then resembles Waf with the exception of using Python instead.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA