Who here actually uses D?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Jan 1 14:48:24 PST 2011

On 1/1/11 4:22 PM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> Having seen a post by Peter Alexander (in Re: D for game development),
> mentioning some of the issues he's hit I thought I'd post this. I've
> been in his shoes (every other time I use D it seems), and feel I should
> ask - who here uses D, and to what extent?
>
> I'm mostly interested in those of you with 1000 Line plus projects in D,
> as that's when I've found I start hitting issues.
>
> Just to clarify, for those D purists among you... I'm not trolling, just
> curious (I wouldn't normally have asked, but now I know I'm not paranoid
> and the only one having problems, I thought I'd ask).

I've done my doctoral work in D, which was a pretty large project for
one person (I guess a few tens of KLOC).

I've also hit unpleasant bugs on occasion as those you mention - it's
very jarring. I wonder how we could improve the process to give special
priority to issues that (a) waste a lot of time tracking down, and (b)
have no or difficult workarounds.

Andrei