Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 2 02:17:36 PST 2011

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:ifpiv8$ltn$1 at digitalmars.com...
> so:
>
>> There are tons of open source C code, which re-invents "C++ virtual", i
>> wouldn't be surprised if he did this too.
>
> I think Linux devices are used through some kind of virtual table. But he
> needs control on how things are implemented (I think C++ Standard doesn't
> specify how virtual calls are implemented).

That does bring up one thing I think he might like about D versus C++: C++
tends to leave a *lot* as undefined, whereas D tries to avoid doing that. I
have no idea if that applies to virual table implementations, though.

Although, if he suddenly decided he wanted to change something about the
implementation of virtual tables, with C he'd probably have to rewrite a lot
of code. Not so with a "depends on the implementation" form of virtual
tables. But maybe he does have it abstracted away with macros of something,
I dunno. Heck, I might not even be making any sense anyway, it's bedtime and
I'm about half asleep already...