Moving to D

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Jan 7 02:09:31 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 11:46 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> A couple months back, I did propose moving to git on the dmd internals mailing
> list, and nobody was interested.

That surprises me.  Shifting from Subversion to any of Mercurial, Bazaar
or Git, is such a huge improvement in tooling.  Especially for support
of feature branches.

> One thing I like a lot about svn is this:
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/changeset/291
>
> where the web view will highlight the revision's changes. Does git or mercurial
> do that? The other thing I like a lot about gif is it sends out emails for each
> checkin.

This is a feature of the renderer not the version control system.  This
is not Subversion at work, this is Trac at work.  As far as I am aware
the Subversion, Mercurial, Git and Bazaar backends for Trac all provide
this facility.

> One thing I would dearly like is to be able to merge branches using meld.
>
> http://meld.sourceforge.net/

Why?

Mercurial, Bazaar and Git all support a variety of three-way merge tools
including meld, but the whole point of branching and merging is that you
don't do it manually -- except in Subversion where merging branching
remains a problem.

With Mercurial, Bazaar and Git, if you accept a changeset from a branch
you jsut merge it, e.g.

	git merge some-feature-branch

job done.  If you want to amend the changeset before committing to HEAD
then create a feature branch, merge the incoming changeset to the
feature branch, work on it till satisfied, merge to HEAD.

The only time I used meld these days is to process merge conflicts, not
to handle merging per se.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk