DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 09:31:35 PST 2011

Am 14.01.2011 15:21, schrieb retard:

> PSUs: Never ever buy the cheap models.

Yup, one should never cheap out on PSUs.
Also cheap PSUs usually are less efficient.

> Optical drives: Number 1 reason for breakage, I forget to close the tray
> and kick it off! Currently I don't use internal optical drives anymore.
> There's one external dvd burner. I rarely use it. And it's safe from my
> feet on the table :D

If you don't trash them yourself (:P) optical drives sometimes fail
because a rubber band in it that rotates the disk (or something) becomes
brittle or worn after some years. These can usually be replaced.

> Hard drives: these always fail, sooner or later. There's nothing you can
> do except RAID and backups (labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf).
> I've successfully terminated all (except those in use) hard drives so far
> by using them normally.

Not kicking/hitting your PC and cooling them appropriately helps, but in
the end modern HDDs die anyway.
I've had older (4GB) HDDs run for for over 10 years, much of the time
even 24/7, without failing.

> Mice: I've always bought Logitech mice. NEVER had any failures. The
> current one is MX 510 (USB). Previous ones used the COM port. The bottom
> of the MX510 shows signs of hardcore use, but the internal parts haven't
> fallen off yet and the LED "eye" works :-D

I often had mouse buttons failing in logitech mice. Sometimes I removed
the corresponding switches in the mouse and soldered one from another
old cheap mouse into it, which fixed it until it broke again..
Now I'm using microsoft mice and they seem more reliable so far.

> Fans: If you want reliability, buy fans with ball bearings. They make
> more noise than sleeve bearings. I don't believe in expensive high
> quality fans. Sure, there are differences in the airflow and noise
> levels, but the max reliability won't be any better. The normal PC stores
> don't sell any fans with industrial quality bearings. Like I said before,
> remember to replace the oil http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm -- I
> still have high quality fans from the 1980s in 24/7 use. The only problem
> is, I couldn't anticipate how much the power consumption grows. The old
> ones are 40-80 mm fans. Now (at least gaming) computers have 120mm or
> 140mm or even bigger fans.

Thanks for the tip :-)